Wednesday, August 29, 2012

German Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars

We're expecting two cars full of house guests to show up later today and I've already started preparing vast quantities of food.  I always prepare tons of food for guests, but my brother and his friends seem to require a bit extra.  We can hardly wait for them to get here- it's been a year since their last visit.  Way too long, if you ask me. 

Working in order of importance, I made the dessert first.  I love dessert.  LOVE it.  I come by it honestly though- my mom is a pretty big dessert fan too. 

When I saw this recipe in the September issue of Southern Living that arrived this week, I knew immediately that I had to make it in honor of our guests.  Mainly because if I made it during a week we weren't having guests, Steve and I might eat the whole batch. 

 I've adapted the recipe a bit from the original to make it gluten free.  We've been experimenting with gluten-free eating this summer and, as Natalie pointed out, it's difficult to find gluten free desserts.  We've mainly been making ice cream and sorbet (and I'm not complaining), plus I've perfected some flourless brownies.  This is the first regular recipe that I've converted to use non-wheat flours and I was pretty pleased with how it turned out.  I think it worked well because flour is such a  small part of the recipe.  I'll give you the regular instructions too, since most people don't have rice flour laying around the house. 

German Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars
 
Ingredients:
 
3 cups pecan halves and pieces
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (I used 1 cup almond flour, 3/4 cup white rice flour)
3/4 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 cups chopped dark chocolate (or chocolate chips)
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup melted butter
3 large eggs
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
 
Directions:
 
1- Preheat oven to 350.  Bake pecans in a single layer 8-10 minutes, stirring once.
 
2- Line a 9 x 13 baking pan with aluminum foil and grease foil.
 
3- Combine flour and next three ingredients until mixture resembles coarse meal (use a pastry blender or food processor).  Press mixture on bottom and 3/4" up the sides of prepared pan.
 
4- Bake crust for 15 minutes.  Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate.  Cool completely on wire rack, about 30 minutes.
 
5- Whisk together brown sugar and next three ingredients until smooth.  Stir in coconut and pecans and spoon into crust.
 
6- Bake for 25-30 minutes until set.  Cool on wire rack 1 hour, then chill 1 hour before cutting bars. 

We had to sample the bars last night before they were quite cool enough to cut (obviously) and they were delicious.  I can't wait to try them again. 
 
Today, aside from cooking, we're putting the final touches on everything for the trunk show and wondering how we're going to fit everything in the car! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover