Friday, August 10, 2012

(cook)book review: La Tartine Gourmande

As someone who loves to cook and eat (shocking, I know!), I find La Tartine Gourmande to be the best kind of cookbook. 

First off, it arrived in the mail last week as a surprise, "just because", gift from my mom.  How awesome is that?  I made a mental note to send more "just because" gifts- what a way to brighten up a regular day. 

Then, there's the photography.  All the pictures are styled and taken by the author herself and they are just gorgeous!  I consider this a coffee table book- something lovely for guests to flip through if they have a spare minute.  I'm a huge fan of recipes with pictures and there is a picture for every last recipe. 

There are also pictures of flowers and the author's chubby cheeked daughter, Lulu, which I consider an added bonus. 

Right about now, you may be thinking that this is the strangest cookbook review you've ever read, since I've said nothing about the actual recipes.  So we'll get to that-

The recipes are lovely.  They involve lots of fresh produce and herbs and whole grains.  Most of them also happen to be gluten-free, but I would not characterize this as a "gluten-free cookbook".  Do you know what I mean?  It's a great cookbook, and most recipes don't include wheat products.  That's all. 

Beatrice, the author, is from France, so there is a definite French influence, but she is so well traveled and currently lives in the US, so I wouldn't call it a "French cookbook".  She also writes a blog full of recipes that I'm sure I will find myself checking compulsively. 

Aside from the recipes, I love the way she talks about food and meal time.  The book includes lots of stories about the food she makes or her childhood memories or family traditions and, to me, that is what makes recipes really special.  The story behind them. 

Beatrice shares my views on many things food related- like never skipping meals, planning ahead, taking food with you on vacation, and the magic of dessert.  I'm pretty sure we could be friends. 

We tried Lemon Honey-Flavored Chicken with tomatoes and green beans this week.  It was really good.  At first, I thought the chicken didn't have enough flavor, but as the meal went on I was able to taste more of the marinade and appreciate the sweetness of the baked tomatoes.  Aside from taste, it was also easy to make and made enough for at least six servings.  I've got my eye on the banana, chocolate, and hazelnut muffins next.  My mouth is actually watering as I type this. 

Hope your weekend is filled with delicious food!  We're hanging out with some favorite friends and I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. I'm already picturing myself curled up on your couch flipping through the pages. That chicken looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely book review~thanks for sharing! That's the kind of book I'd like to climb under a blanket on my sofa with:0)
    What a thoughtful gift.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover