Thursday, June 30, 2011

summer fun

Last night was the first real cookout our yard has seen this summer.  Complete with citronella candles and baked beans. 

I love these beans.  The only picture I have is this one as I was just starting to mix everything together.  I wasn't really able to get any pictures of the food all ready to serve, what with the 30ish hungry people milling about. 

Here is the recipe for the beans so that you can make them for your very own summer cookout:

1 large can baked beans (I used 2- 24 oz. cans)
1 15 oz. can kidney beans
2 15 oz. cans lima beans (drained)
2 15 oz. cans green beans (drained)
1 lb. bacon, cut in pieces and browned
1-2 cups chopped onion

After browning bacon, save half of the grease and saute the onions in it.  Pour all the beans in a large roasting pan and add onions, bacon, and the following mixture:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. dry mustard
salt to taste
1 cup ketchup

Mix well.  Bake uncovered at 275 for 4-5 hours. 

Now I know what you're thinking: "FOUR TO FIVE HOURS!?!?!"  And I guess this would be the appropriate time for me to admit that I really like things that slowly cook for most of the day.  Something I can mix up in the morning, and then forget about while I go about the rest of the days work, smelling delicious food in the background.

Don't judge until you've tried it at least once. 


We had lots of food other than beans, plus drinks in our big metal tub.  This tub is really getting a workout this summer.  Best $13 we've spent this year. 


The evening was lovely and, thankfully, not too hot.  It's been darn hot around here lately. 

In a rare moment, I caught just one child in the hammock.  There were usually at least four. 

True to the "when it rains, it pours" theory, today I am simultaneously cleaning up from last night's fun, preparing for two house guests to arrive by dinner time, and packing our things to travel north for the weekend, where we will be throwing another party.  No one will be able to blame me if I sleep through the fireworks this year.

Don't you just love the fourth of July?  It feels like the peak of summer to me and makes me want to buy lots of watermelon and decorate with this.  Or spiff up my bike and ride in a parade. 

Have a lovely long weekend!  I'll be back next week to share pictures of all the festivities!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover