Monday, January 10, 2011

snow day

We woke up to a blanket of white and a phone call from Steve's office saying they were closed. What a great day! Yesterday, Steve filled the bird feeder, so we spent some time this morning enjoying all the visitors.


The snow is still falling and it is lovely. I always say that if it's going to be cold out, it needs to be snowing.


Our snow day breakfast was real hot chocolate and mini bagels with cheesecake cream cheese. Last week I made some mini cheesecakes to take to a friend's house and I had some of the cheesecake mixture left over. As it is just cream cheese, sugar, and sour cream, it is totally safe to enjoy unbaked and we have been eating it on our bagels. It is SO tasty- a lot like the flavored cream cheese at Panera.

The real hot chocolate was a treat and is so much better than the powdered kind that I have completely stopped buying the powder. I'll take the extra time to have that milky goodness.

Now that we're all sugared up from breakfast and have a nice fire going, we are settling in for a day of sewing, laundry, playing cards, and a snow walk. We've got plenty of leftover gumbo from the weekend, but I am sorry to report- no pictures. The gumbo, while quite delicious, kind of looks like gruel. It's true. Thankfully, I have earned a reputation with Steve for cooking edible meals, so when I serve him gruel-looking items, he eats them anyway. And goes back for more.


With the snow and everyone home and some vanilla candles burning it feels like Christmas all over again here. And I don't mind one bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover