Monday, October 28, 2013

let's talk about grits


Do you know I'd never even tried grits until a few years ago?  I always assumed I didn't like them.  And I probably don't like them prepared a lot of ways.  But these dinner grits are the perfect thing for a cold fall evening and they cook in the crock pot, so they're basically impossible to ruin!

Slow Cheese Cooker Grits

Stir together 2 cups uncooked stone ground grits and 6 cups water in a slow cooker.  Cover and soak 6-8 hours. (I've soaked as few as 2 hours before and they turned out just fine).  Cook grits on high 2- 2 1/2 hours, stirring halfway through.  Stir in 1/4 cup heavy cream, 2 Tbsp. butter, 1 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese.  


What makes these grits a viable meal option, in my opinion, is what you put on them.  Most recently, we topped them with bacon (do you make your bacon in the oven?  Once Natalie told me about this trick, I've never looked back.), sauteed peppers, more shredded cheese (obviously), caramelized onions (here's how to make them), and mushrooms.  I sauteed the mushrooms in some butter, garlic, salt, pepper, and Marsala wine.  I could have eaten a whole bowl of just those mushrooms.  


As is usually the case on Mondays, I'm feeling optimistic about the week and all I'll accomplish.  I'm working on a new project for the shop, as well as restocking some sold out items.  I'm planning a few product posts for later this week because I feel like it's been awhile since I've shared what I'm working on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover