Monday, September 10, 2012

I'd climb a mountain for you

We went hiking yesterday.  It was Steve's birthday activity of choice and the weather was perfect for it.  I'm not really what you'd call a "hiker", but I loved being with Steve, being outside, and the lovely views. 

We hiked Crowder's Mountain, which is about 45 minutes from here and the closest mountain to us.  I giggled when I saw it because, having grown up in the mountains, this one seemed pretty miniature.  However, it did not seem miniature when I was dragging myself up 367 steep steps at the top, so I guess we see who had the last laugh. 

I packed a picnic lunch and Steve couldn't believe it when I busted out the deviled eggs.  I guess he expected energy bars and trail mix (we did have trail mix), but hey- it's a hike, not hard time.  I see no reason not to eat civilized food, just because you're on top of a mountain.  I did not pack cloth napkins though, if you're wondering.

It was really fun to people-watch.  We saw lots of father-kids outings and decided that hikers have the best behaved dogs.  We took one trail to the top and a different one on the way down.  Both trail descriptions said "strenuous".  This morning, my legs are in perfect agreement with that description.

Today is Steve's actual birthday, so we started with our favorite breakfast.  We'll continue the celebration when he gets home from work tonight and finish off the day with homemade whipped cream and berries. 
 
This is the eleventh birthday I've celebrated with Steve and with each one I am just so thankful to have gotten to spend another year with my favorite person. 

 

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover