Thursday, May 03, 2012

fancywiches










(Welcome Design Mom readers!  I hope you feel right at home here!)

Over the past year, I have discovered the secret to a quick but delicious dinner and today I would like to share this valuable knowledge with you.  It's fancywiches.  That's right- you heard me- fancywiches. 
Fancywiches, of course, are sandwiches that are way fancier that your regular old turkey and cheese on wheat.  They are meal sandwiches, and I don't mean lunch.  When you are done eating a fancywich, you never think, "I just had a sandwich for dinner", because you are too busy thinking, "mmmmm...". 

Often, and especially on weekends, I need a break from cooking.  Who doesn't?  But what's exciting is that taking a break doesn't have to mean eating out or cereal for dinner.  I like to plan a sandwich dinner for Sunday night so that I don't spend the whole afternoon feeling like I need to be working on dinner.  Fancywiches make my weekends seem longer. 

You need ideas?  I've got ideas.  Here are my favorite fancywiches in no particular order because I love them all:

Italian Pretzel- (as seen in picture 1) Cut a pretzel roll in half.  Spread pesto on each side.  Sprinkle each side with shredded mozzarella cheese.  Add two slices of prosciutto.  Place sandwich on a cookie sheet in the oven and broil for 2ish minutes.  Top with lettuce and tomato.  Munch munch munch. 

Tuna Melt- (as seen in picture 2) In a bowl, mix two cans of tuna, one big spoonful of mayonnaise, one diced celery stalk, 1/2 diced apple, 1 chopped hard boiled egg, a little bit of diced red onion, salt and pepper.  Spread mixture on a slice of bread and top with the cheese of your choice (I like Havarti).  Broil for 2 minutes. 

Avocado Egg Salad- (above picture) I found this recipe here, on the Pioneer Woman's blog.  It combines two of my favorite foods (avocado and eggs) into a harmony of delicious. 

Eggs Benedict- Cut thick slices of French bread and toast them.  Mix together 2 cups arugula, 1/4 cup diced red onion, 2 tsp. olive oil, and 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice.  Place a big heap of arugula mixture on top of each slice of bread.  Top with two slices of cooked bacon and a fried egg.  Make some hollandaise sauce (either from a mix, or from scratch is super easy) and drizzle over the egg.  Top the whole thing with fresh tomato slices.   Oooo la la. 

Spinach Salad Wrap- Whisk together 5 Tbsp. red wine vinegar, 1/4 cup sour cream, 2 Tbsp. sugar, 2 tsp. chopped parsley, 1 tsp. salt, 2 cloves minced garlic, 1/2 tsp. dry mustard, and 1 tsp. olive oil.  On a tortilla, pile some fresh spinach, one slice of mozzarella cheese torn into pieces, 1/2 a sliced hard boiled egg, 2 slices of bacon, a bit of sliced red onion, and a handful of sliced mushrooms.  Drizzle with dressing, wrap up, and enjoy. 

So now that I'm totally craving a sandwich, what about you?  Any go-to quick dinners that you can't keep a secret any longer? 

I'm super flattered to be featured on Design Mom's blog today!  Be sure to head over and check it out!

1 comment:

  1. I love your feature article in Design Mom! I am so proud of you. I also love the new look of your blog! The changes are wonderful.
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover