Wednesday, May 09, 2012

the best burgers


If you're a vegetarian, you'll probably want to skip this post.  Meat lovers, read on. 

Several weeks ago, Steve and I got a meat grinder attachment for our KitchenAid mixer.  I already like it way more than I thought I would. 


So far, all we've done with it is grind beef for burgers, but each time, they've been the best burgers I've ever had.  We buy a mixture of sirloin and chuck steak to get a good meat to fat ratio.  Then the beef needs to be cut into smaller pieces.

The pieces get dropped into the grinder and pushed down with the fancy pusher that came with it.  I put my mixer on speed 6 and it seems to be the right speed for beef. 

The ground beef comes out of the front and we catch it in a big bowl.  It only takes about five minutes to grind two pounds of beef. 

To keep the burgers tender, I try not to handle the meat very much.  I drop it in little clumps on a cutting board and gently push it together to make patties.  A little salt and pepper on each side is all the seasoning these burgers need.

I haven't tried cooking fresh ground burgers on the grill yet.  Because I don't handle the meat a lot, the burgers are pretty loose and I worry that they would fall apart.  And I've never liked burgers cooked inside, so I know what you're thinking, but trust me- they taste amazing cooked in the skillet on the stove. 

I cook them about five or six minutes per side and only flip once.  You don't have to worry about cooking burgers as thoroughly when you grind the meat yourself, so this would be a great option for people who like a rare burger. 

Our second group of house guests are on their way home and I'm headed out to the grocery store now to stock up on food for the next crew, who are arriving in 48 hours.  We'll be serving burgers, among other things.  I'll check back in on Friday before the next round of fun starts to share some other things I've been working on!



1 comment:

  1. those burgers look delicous. now I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover