Monday, April 01, 2013

how to get more life out of your linens

I am the kind of person who likes to get the most out of things.  If Steve and I go out for coffee, I like to sit for a long time at a cozy table while we sip our drink and have a great conversation.  If we go on a trip, I like to use the time to do the things that we can only do in that specific place.  And when I buy something, I plan to keep it for a long time. 
 
But I also like to have nice things.  Which is why, when the edges of our pillowcases started looking ragged and kind of shredded, I almost got rid of them.  Who wants to lay down every night on a ragged pillowcase if they don't have to? 
 
After giving it some thought though, I realized that I could just make a new edge for the case.  I cut some strips of fabric and sewed them together until they were long enough.  Then I folded the long edges in towards the middle until they met and ironed them in place.  Then I folded the whole thing in half (I was basically making bias tape, for those of you who are a bit more sewing-savvy) and ironed again.  I pinned the binding onto the edge of the pillowcase and sewed it into place.  Voila!  Even fancier than before! 

 Now that my eyes have been opened to how easy it is to repurpose bedding, I feel like I can give new life to all of our sheets!  These pink polka dot sheets no longer match the room they go in, so I made a new edge for them.  I basically used the same method as for the pillow cases, but I cut the fabric wide enough to fold around the old edge. 

I didn't even cut the old edge off- just left it underneath- but you certainly could if you wanted to change the width.  I think that adding or updating the edge of your sheets or pillowcases is such an easy and inexpensive way to update your bedding.  And all you have to do is know how to sew a straight line! 

ps- Happy April!  I don't know about you, but I think this month is going to be amazing!

1 comment:

  1. Good job Lauren! There are no end to the uses for sheets. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover