Friday, March 08, 2013

forcing spring

We're expecting company this weekend and I have been trying all week to pull the house into spring mode.  I can deal with out-of-season decor when it's just the two of us, but I try to keep things on track when we're having visitors.  You're welcome, visitors. 
 
But aside from the daffodils that are cheering up the front yard, it hasn't felt or looked like spring at all.  It's been cold and windy.  Some days we don't see the sun.  I took down all the pine cones and the garland, but it felt wrong.  In my heart, it was still winter.
 
So I've been taking baby steps.  I replaced the pine cones with Easter eggs and bargained with myself to keep the white lights up on the mantle for another month.  I ventured outside, wearing a ski coat, and cut some daffodils and budding branches. 
 
I put a bunny on  plate in the middle of the dining room table and called it a day.  There's only so much you can do to force a new season into existence.
 
Today, perhaps because of the progress I've made, everything else seems to be catching up.  The sun is shining and the temperature has already crept into the upper 40s.  The house is warm, mainly because I'm cooking about nine different things all at one time.  And I purposely layered up a hot pink tank top, an orange shirt, and a bright green hoodie, thereby turning myself into a bit of an Easter egg as well. 
 
I think that real spring will be here in no time.  Hope your weekend is sunny!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover