Wednesday, February 27, 2013

perfect winter beef stew

Every year, as spring approaches, I find myself trying to squeeze in as many "winter" meals as I can to our weekly menu.  Things that I would never make in the warm months.  Things like beef stew. 

I've been using this beef stew recipe for years now and it is super easy, so I thought I'd share it. 
 
Perfect Winter Beef Stew
 
Ingredients
 
3/4 cup Italian dressing
2 lb. beef chunks
3 cups sliced mushrooms
1 cup chopped onions
3 cups sliced carrots
1 1/2 lbs potatoes, cut into large chunks
1 14 oz. can stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 14 oz. can beef broth

Instructions

Pour dressing over meat and marinate for at least 30 minutes.  Remove meat from marinade and discard marinade.
 
Saute mushrooms and onions in a large soup pot over medium high heat 10 minutes until tender. 
 
Add meat, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, and broth to pot. 
 
Bring to boil, stirring occasionally.  Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 1 hour 15 minutes.  Uncover and simmer an additional 15 minutes or until sauce is thickened. 

As with all soups, this recipe is super flexible.  Today, I'm adding celery, because I happen to have some.  Sometimes I also whisk in some corn starch towards the end to thicken the broth a bit. 

We've only got a few more weeks of winter left, so enjoy this while you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover