Tuesday, November 15, 2011

unlimited soup and bread

We're not having salad, but it's still a pretty good deal. 

Tonight's soup is Potato Leek, one of my favorites.  I based the recipe on one I found in an old issue of Cooking Light and altered it to be more like the Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana, which I love. 

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. butter
3 cups thinly sliced leeks (about 3 leeks)
6 cups peeled and cubed Yukon gold potatoes (about 2 1/2 lbs.)
2 cups water
1/2 tsp. salt
28 oz. stock or broth
a sprinkle of thyme
1/3 cup whipping cream, half and half, or milk
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 lb. sausage

Directions:

1. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add leek, cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally (do not brown).
2. Add potatoes, water, salt, broth, and thyme.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender (this can take WAY more than 20 minutes sometimes).
3. While soup is simmering, cook and crumble sausage.  Drain and set aside.
4. Once potatoes are tender, remove pan from heat.  Partially mash potatoes with a potato masher.  Stir in cream and black pepper.  Stir in sausage. 


Some key notes about this soup:

Do not over-mash the potatoes.  You will be sorry.  You definitely want some chunks in there. 

You could adjust the amount and type of dairy that you add in the last step to your own taste.  I usually use whatever we have on hand and add a bit more than 1/3 cup.  I like a creamy soup. 

The easiest way I have found to slice the leeks is to cut little strips with kitchen scissors. 


Tonight, I'll be serving some whole grain bread with our soup.  I made two loaves last month and have one waiting for me in the freezer.  I may melt a little cheese on some bread slices because there is no cheese in this soup and every meal is better with cheese, yes?  Yes. 


Note: I do not have a picture of the finished soup, as it is still simmering on the stove. 

I am finishing up a bit of hand stitching, while enjoying the aroma.  I am also trying to embrace the fact that it gets dark so early by lighting candles and making it cozy in here. 

I'll be sharing some new product pictures (finally!) later in the week!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover