Thursday, October 13, 2011

focus

One of my favorite things (so far) about our new camera is how I can focus on one small part of a picture, while leaving the rest of the image out of focus. 

I love the ability to really zero in on what's beautiful- a large bloom, flower buds about to burst open, the sway of the Russian sage- and blur out the not so beautiful (like, say, the air conditioning unit in the background). 

After all, isn't that what we should all be trying to do anyway?  Every day, I try to zero in on what makes life beautiful and let the rest fade into a background blur.  Some days are easier than others. 

I'm not suggesting a life of denial, but rather a conscious decision to give the most attention to the good. 

Steve and I were talking recently about some of the hard things we've dealt with over the past six years.  As we started listing them, we were really surprised that there were so many. 

We were surprised, I think, because we don't focus on those things.  We move through them and then let them just blur into the background with the neighbor's trashcan and the patches of dead grass. 

When I picture the past six years, some images stand out sharply against the blur:

buying our first Christmas tree

going for walks, arm in arm

planting bulbs in the yard

pool days

packing the car for a weekend trip


Thankful today that my mind, like my camera, is able to pick and choose what to focus on.  

"Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse."
                                                                   Philipians 4:8 (The Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover