Monday, August 01, 2011

packing strategy


One of my life goals is to be a more efficient packer.  I mean, it's not up there with "own a successful business", but probably on the same level as "learn a second language". 

I read recently that one of the secrets of packing efficiently is to make sure that every article of clothing can be worn with at least two other articles.  Sounds easy enough.


For our Maine trip this summer, I decided to take it a step further.  Instead of picking a few items of clothing that I wanted to take and then finding things to match them, I reversed the process.  I'm sneaky like that. 


I chose red, white, and blue for my color scheme.  (Does anyone get tired of red, white, and blue in the summer months?  I sure don't.)  Then I went through my closet and pulled out pieces that fit into the scheme. 

 
Obviously, gray is also allowed because- hello- it's gray


Choosing things to pack was super easy- all I had to do is think about the weather (70s during the day, 50s at night, hallelujah!) and stick with the scheme.  I have five sundresses.  I didn't even have to think about which one to take, because only one was the right color. 


So here's what I'm planning to take for our 6 day trip:

7 shirts, short sleeved and sleeveless

1 pair khaki shorts

2 skirts

1 dress

2 pairs of pants

2 long sleeved shirts/sweaters

Obviously, this doesn't include pajamas or bathing suits or things like that, but you get the picture.  I don't think that I'm actually packing less that I would have without the color scheme, but I'd like to think that I'm packing smarter.  I love the thought that I can put on any skirt and every shirt in my suitcase will match it. 


Also, think about shoes!  One nice pair of sandals, one pair of flip flops, DONE.  Of course they match everything.  Everything matches everything. 

As you can see, I'm pretty stoked about the idea.  I think it has the potential to either be a real breakthrough in packing technique, or an absolute disaster.  I'll be sure to keep you posted on the results once we're home!

As a side note, Natalie and I used to have a formula to calculate how long it should take to pack for any trip- one hour for every day you will be gone, plus an hour if you've never been there before, minus an hour if you have.  I've actually found it to be fairly accurate, so I've set aside all of Wednesday morning to prepare for our upcoming vacation.  I may even time myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover