Tuesday, December 28, 2010

reason #246 to have soup for dinner...

All the forks were in the dishwasher. True story.

Last year around this time, I came across the recipe for Creamy Tomato Chicken Chowder on one of my favorite blogs and my life was changed. I don't quite remember what things were like before this soup, but I'm betting not nearly as good. Yes, it takes several hours to make, and yes, the ingredients probably end up costing close to $20, but it is all worth it. It makes a TON, so you can always freeze some for later, but we never do because we can't stop eating it. So, since it would be very rude to build something up like this and not share the recipe, here ya go:

Ingredients:
*olive oil to coat pan bottom
*1 medium yellow onion chopped
*1 yellow bell pepper chopped
*1 whole bulb of garlic chopped
*1.5-2 lbs chopped skinless chicken breast
(omit for vegetarian or substitute with clams, shrimp)
*8-10 small red potatoes cut in quarters
-------------------------------------------------
*1 32-oz box of Imagine Creamy Tomato Soup
*1 32-oz box of chicken broth
(substitute with vegetable broth for vegetarian)
*1/2 cup white wine

*2 cups frozen yellow corn
*1 cup sliced fresh white button mushrooms
-------------------------------------------------
All spices are to taste, but at least 1 tsp of each:
*kosher salt
*black pepper
*red pepper flakes
*cumin
-------------------------------------------------
*1/2 cup cream cheese
*1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese

Directions:
*Combine all ingredients in first section and cook in a dutch oven over medium-low heat until the chicken is just cooked through or if you are making the vegetarian version until the potatoes get a little tender.
*Add all ingredients from the second section and let the soup stew for a while-about an hour or so, adding the spices (third section) and tasting till you're happy.
*Once you're about to serve the soup add in the cheeses, whisking to smooth if necessary. I also made a small amount of flour roux to thicken just a bit as well.  Not sure how to make a roux?  Check out my tutorial here


And since I know you're probably headed out right now to get the ingredients, I will help you out a bit- both Harris Teeter and Kroger carry the Imagine Creamy Tomato soup.


To accompany the soup, I tried out a new bread recipe from Southern Living. These rolls are a cross between a yeast roll and a biscuit and were truly amazing. Maybe my new favorite bread. They are super easy to make and barely require any kneading. For those of you who are anti-knead.

Our new soup bowls are really getting a workout this winter.

Tomorrow I will (finally) be able to share some pictures of the Christmas gifts that I made this year! I'll meet you back here and you can tell me how your soup turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover