Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Heaven is Here: book review

I have been reading Stephanie Nielson's blog for a couple of years now and I've been super excited for her book to come out this spring.  I checked it out from the library last week and finished it in just a few days. 

I feel like most people have probably heard of Stephanie by now, but in case you haven't, here's the deal- Stephanie and her husband were in a plane crash together and survived, but were terribly burned.  They had four children at the time (five now!) and, thankfully, a large extended family to support them.  I always been impressed with Stephanie's attitude on her blog, but reading her entire story from start to finish gave me a whole new level of respect for her. 

There were several chapters of the book that I cried straight through.  But it was the good kind of crying, because you already know there is a happy ending to the story.  Stephanie is living and thriving today, writing books and having babies and enjoying her family.  Her story is captivating and her writing is honest and straightforward.

My favorite thing about Heaven is Here is the message of hope that runs throughout.  There are so many parts of Stephanie's story that I have no experience with and can hardly relate to at all, yet I could easily translate the main lesson to my own life- I can do hard things.  We all can. 

Now that I've read through my latest stack of library books, Steve and I are looking for something classic to read together and discuss.  Any suggestions? 

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Stephanie. I'm going to see if my library has her book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to check in on Stephanie's blog. It's an amazing story & she is so real but so strong with the pain they've been through. It's been a while since i've read her blog so I didn't know she had a book out. I'll have to add that to my wish list.

    I like your new blog design and your new bags are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book in one day and loved every page, even if it did bring tears to my eyes on more than one occasion. What an amazing story of a strong, courageous soul who we can all learn from. I hope I can be as great of a mom and wife as she is someday. Simply inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover