Tuesday, March 31, 2015

boys bow ties: process and outtakes



 I have been trying for almost two years to perfect a design for a boys bow tie.  It all started when I found myself with a boy and realized how cute he'd look in a little tie.  The process was made exponentially more difficult by my severe dislike of most boys bow ties, that are actually a squished rectangle and not a real bow.  I wanted the real bow.  



After probably eight different versions, I am pleased to say that I think I'm done.  I have a boys bow tie pattern, in two different sizes, that I feel proud of.  It has a sturdy clip on the back that is easy to use.  Most of all, it doesn't look like a clown tie.  You know, kids in big, clown-looking bow ties?  I don't get it.  If my kid is wearing a bow tie, I want him to rock that thing, not look like he might be in costume.  



With Easter (a great excuse for a bow tie!) rapidly approaching, we took to the yard last week for some pictures.  


You have to admire his enthusiasm.


I mean, seriously, how do children's clothing companies get their catalogs done?  Anytime I need a picture of Arthur modeling something, I take about 400 photos and get one or two decent shots.  Are there really child models that smile nicely and don't do weird ninja poses?  And if so, how much do you think they charge?  No, really, how much? 


I call this one "Blue Steel".  


Arthur's favorite tie is the green one, but I'm making boys ties in all the same colors I have for men's ties.  Because what's better than matching father-son bow ties?  Not much, I think, not much.  

It's hard to believe that March is over, but I'm excited about the warmer weather that April will bring!

1 comment:

  1. What bow ties? I can't keep my eyes off that adorable face. ha! Oh, those expressions! What a crack up.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover