Thursday, June 10, 2010

Strawberry Shortcake

If you were a child in the 80s, as I was, this title will make you think of a sweet smelling doll with a huge hat, rather than a tasty dessert. (As a side note, I was so fond of Strawberry Shortcake as a child that I had a hot pink sleeping bag with a big picture of her perched on a giant strawberry. My favorite thing about this bag was that if I got all the way down inside of it while it was still light outside, it looked like I was in a glowing pink cave.)
As soon as I saw this strawberry print by Sandi Henderson, I knew it would be perfect for an apron. Who could feel sad or overworked while prancing around the kitchen in something this cheerful? Certainly not me.
So today I set out to create my own apron pattern. I tried on aprons that I currently own in front of the mirror. I made note of the fact that there are no mirrors in my kitchen and I really had no idea how unflattering some of those aprons are. I resolved to make an attractive apron that you should not be the least bit embarrassed to wear in front of dinner guests.
I measured. I ironed. I cut. I took a break to mop the floors. Add some gathers at the top, a big pocket, and tiny polka-dotted bias trim. Voila! All in a day’s work. I think Strawberry Shortcake would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover