Monday, January 03, 2011

in with the new

We toasted the new year with Blood Orange Sparkling Soda in martini glasses. At 7:30 pm. I'm not even going to try to pretend that we're night owls.



While I am all about celebrating the passing of an old year and the entrance of a new one, I am not so much about needing to be awake at the exact moment this change occurs. As a result, we usually opt to stay in and make our own fun and go to bed when we want to.


This year, "make our own fun" = candle recycling. I know, try to settle down. It got pretty crazy.


We have been saving the wax from the bottom of candles that are all used up. We like to buy the candles that come in glass containers and then repurpose the containers into something fun. So we found ourselves, on new year's eve, with lots of wax, many glass containers, and some wicks that I purchased earlier in the day for $1.88.

We divided the wax by smell and somewhat by color and then melted it down in the microwave. Then I poured the liquid wax into the glass containers while Steve held the wick still. We let them dry overnight and then trimmed the wicks and...

We ended up with six new candles! And with scents like fruity-apple-citrus-lemon-hibiscus and vanilla-cookie-holiday-mint-spice. Go ahead and try to find one of those at Bath and Body Works.


Making something old, new again. Not a bad theme for the new year.

Tomorrow I will be able to share some of the projects that have been keeping me busy over the past week or so. Including more scarves for the shop.

I hope your year is off to a happy start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover