Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Two

Over the weekend, we celebrated two years as a family of three.  Two years.  It sounds super cliche, but it feels like both a lifetime and five minutes, simultaneously.



Steve and I had secret phone conferences and made lists and ran rest time errands and it was totally worth it.  We started the day with balloons and chocolate chip pancakes, ended with sushi and frozen yogurt and had new Matchbox car tracks, bike/scooter riding and feeding horses sandwiched in the middle.  The whole day was full of celebration.



It's the hardest won victories we celebrate the biggest.


You might think that time would fade the magic and awe that we feel surrounding Arthur's adoption.  It could become so much a part of our story that it seems like just another thing we did as part of our grand life adventure together.  


That's not the case though, at least not yet.  The past year has left me feeling even more amazed that Arthur is a part of our family.  Adding one to our numbers still seems akin to climbing Mount Everest or swimming the English Channel- such a big feat that I can hardly believe we pulled it off.  


But we did, and he's here, and I still feel so lucky.  And I'd like to go on the record and say that today (Arthur's actual family day) has been a bit challenging.  Steve is sick, Arthur threw a fit during dinner, and I got off the phone with poison control less than an hour ago after discovering that he had snacked on about half a tube of toothpaste during rest time.  There are Lego's all over the floor and I still need to finish the dishes from dinner and find something for show and tell that begins with "X" (really preschool?!?).  



And I though to myself a minute ago, "I'll take it."  Two years ago we picked up a little boy and signed on for all the toothpaste eating and stepping on Lego's and weird school projects and I'll take it all for the chance to be a part of this exact family.  Here's to another year of us.  

(But also here's hoping tomorrow is a little easier.) 

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover